Saturday, February 19, 2011

Skinny Chic back in the saddle


By this time of year we all have made “new year’s resolutions” and typically by late February/early March we’ve thrown in our resolution towels and dived face first into pizza, ice cream, or chocolate (whatever your preference). Every year without fail my relapse begins the week of my birthday. It’s like my body is programmed to clock out of everything during that week and it usually takes an act of God (literally) to throw me back on the wagon. Last year after my birthday I didn’t work out for 10 months! This year was a little better considering my past behavior; I only took a 3 week sabbatical from life as I knew it. My husband encouraged me to work out and life kept moving all around me, but all I wanted to do was lay around and eat. I wasn’t sad, tired, or stressed; my body just didn’t want to work out.

A friend of mine pointed out that my body probably responded that way because it’s still looking at exercise as a punishment as opposed to fun. I’m really not buying what she’s selling. I mean honestly, who in their right minds would look at running and lifting weights as fun?  When I think of fun I think of laughing, fellowship, and freedom. The words that don’t come to mind with fun are sweat, loss of breath, and pain (nope, I’m really not seeing the fun correlation).

Despite my speculations, I decided to listen to her advice. I’m now setting small rewards for myself to encourage me to workout. For instance if I work out for 2 weeks straight I will reward myself by getting my eyebrows waxed. I love getting my eyebrows waxed so I know this is a great goal. So as long as you don’t see me walking around with a uni-brow you’ll know that I’m still following the plan.

But this is the thing, WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR SPEECH! I won’t fall off the wagon again because I don’t want to. I’m not a quitter and it’s not my intentions to give up. We must start believing in ourselves and believing in the God within us. To attain my goal of 100lbs of weight loss; I must constantly adhere to the same healthy principles I’ve learned (exercising, eating more fruits and veggies, & watching portion sizes) and not focus on a one time incident of weight gain, weight loss, or motivation drainage. Ralph Marston said “Success is a consistent pattern more than it is an isolated event.” If we establish our healthy lifestyle patterns and are consistent about following them we have no choice but to be successful. My weight loss isn’t about a number, it’s about a lifestyle and I’m willing to fight to make changes that will keep me here for a while.

If you get a chance watch our webcast/internet radio show every Sunday 2pm-3pm http://www.livestream.com/desmoinesamplified and you can also follow me on twitter @Poetic1_Melody.

And remember if you're a fat chic like me stay motivated, be encouraged, and know that inside of every fat chic is a skinny chic waiting to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment